TAYLOR narrows gap at top of Super One

TAYLOR narrows gap at top of Super One



25/26th June


A mixed day of testing on Friday, on a track Joseph was not so familiar with compared to some others, showed how fast he was in the sessions before timed qualifying, posting fastest laps and sectors and making the overtaking look easy.

Saturday’s qualifying was not so easy though, after the first few laps only a 6 minute timed qualifying saw him sitting mid-table and looking for a good track position with a good chase and tow to put that one special time in.

With literally a couple of tenths splitting the whole grid and a few thousandths between the top boys, Joseph got the position he needed on the second last lap, putting the fastest 2 sectors in on the first part of the track.

Joseph Taylor Heavy Braking SOME HEAVY BRAKING GOING ON!

Sector 3, with a nice chase and perfect position up the long twisting bank should have produced pole, but two tenths were lost on the last corner after being baulked by a team mate – producing only seventh place.

A second qualifying group and mixing the two grids for places left Joseph in a difficult P15 overall.

Joseph’s first heat brought rain, great news because he excels in the wet – the eight minute heat brought a 4th place finish and important points gave Joseph a good start, even though he described the kart driving like a ‘shed’.

Heat 2 was a different matter with Joseph asking for changes to the kart before another wet race where he was half a second faster than anyone on track and came though the field with ease to catch the second place runner with a couple of laps to go.

First place looked achievable but Joseph was forced to run in 3rd place for over a lap due to yellow flags on track (meaning no overtaking), but he got going again and made his move into 2nd place, but with only a lap left to catch the leader he could not close the gap enough and finished second.

The heats secured a starting place of P2 for Final 1.

Sunday’s Final 1 was a hard race and with many changes for the lead there was a lot a stake for all drivers at the sharp end – Joseph led part of the race although the ever changing positions meant no one was in the lead for long.

Consistent pace and decisive overtaking moves saw a win in prospect, until being run off the track, forcing a drop back to tenth, but then a recovery up to seventh in the short time left in the race.

Final 2 and a p7 start meant there was work to be done on the short, twisty, hilly track, with a red flag incident stopping the race before it got going on the first lap.

Quickly getting going again and wasting no time in heading for the front meant a win was well on the cards – reinforced by consistent and smoothly executed overtaking manoeuvres and fighting back every time a rival posed a threat – until a collision between 2 other drivers in the 3rd last lap saw Joseph’s reactions tested exiting the hairpin and heading straight towards a tangle of karts!

Quick reactions saw him drive round the outside and quickly get back into race mode, however due to this incident the remainder of the race was run under “Battenberg” flags (leader has to slow down and act as “pace kart”) so he had to settle for 3rd place.


A hard weekend, but more championship points scored than any other competitor, resulting in a now second place in the Super One table, just 5 points behind the leader.

Next stop Fulbeck, Lincolnshire in 2 weeks time.